Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘dog help’

by guest blogger Claire Stanton

Dog licking childs face

Dogs and cats are two of the most popular pets around. Millions of people have these animals in their homes, and both canines and felines are treated as part of the family. Most of these pets are really loved to the point that they are spoiled more than kids. On top of that, they even have insurance, which is actually not a frivolity but a necessity since animal care can become pretty expensive.
Because you love your pet, you should not only be able to provide it with its basic needs. You must also give your canine or feline companion love and attention; and you will only be able to provide your animal with the best that you can offer by educating yourself about them. Knowing what your animal needs or likes is very helpful. But one major aspect that you should also pay attention to is emergency care. In case your animal gets into an accident, you’d know how to approach the situation and how to give first aid to your pet.

1. Caring for Cuts and Wounds

Animals are very rambunctious, and their hyperactivity can sometimes lead to disaster. In case your dog, for instance, cuts itself while playing outdoors, there are certain steps you have to follow, especially if your animal is bleeding. First, do not panic. Second, stop the bleeding. Get a clean cloth or gauze and put this over the wound. Apply pressure. Then, take your pet to a vet clinic or an animal hospital for treatment. Your vet will most likely give your pet a sedative or general anesthesia so that he can clean and close up the wound. Your pet will probably be given pain killers too.

2. Reminders When Taking Care of a Poisoned Pet

There are so many ways that your pet can be poisoned. It could ingest or inhale a toxic substance. Some noxious elements are also absorbed through the skin. If you suspect that your pet was poisoned, immediately contact poison control. You can also call the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or ASPCA. Have their numbers handy just in case.

Never encourage your pet to drink liquids because the fluids will only distribute the poison to the blood and other bodily organs much faster. Also, it is not a good idea to induce vomiting, particularly when your animal is – experiencing seizures, having difficulty of breathing, or unconscious. Do not induce vomiting if you believe that the poison is something very acidic or a flammable product, like gasoline.

3. What To Do When Your Pet Experiences Hypothermia

Winter is just around the corner, and it’s truly a wonderful and magical time. However, this is also the season when people, as well as pets, are at risk for hypothermia. Hypothermia occurs when the body temperature gets really low. Your pet may experience hypothermia if it gets left out in the cold too long or if it falls in a pool of freezing water. But aside from environmental factors, hypothermia in animals, specifically dogs, may be a sign of a serious disease or infection.

If your pet experiences hypothermia, here are a few things that you should remember. First, place your pet in a warm environment. Then, dry your pet, in case he is wet, and cover with thick blankets. To add more heat, put a hot water bottle on the covers. Finally, call your vet.

Citations:

Claire Stanton is a freelance writer and a pet owner. She blogs about pet care, veterinarians and animal hospitals, like Buford Animal Hospital that offers affordable yet excellent vet services.

Read Full Post »

by guest blogger Claire Brent

Much-loved pets could harbor an unsavory bug – the tick. Ticks feed on blood and they can carry pathogens that may be transferred to

Australian Cattle dog

animals and humans. People can get sick with Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, tularemia, or tick-borne relapsing fever. These are just some of the many serious illnesses that individuals can obtain from the bite of a tick. Still, if you see one, don’t be overly alarmed. Avoid being hasty in removing ticks as this could backfire and create more troubles for you or your furry friends.

There are many safe ways to remove ticks from pets, particularly family dogs or cats. Here are some pointers.

Preparation

Before going through the tick-removal process, prepare what you need first. Get the following materials ready:

– Alcohol or disinfectant

– Dish detergent

– Gloves

Tweezers

Antiseptic ointment

– Container/jar with screw top lid

The Removal Process

It’s important to be careful when removing ticks from your animal. So, here’s a step-by-step guide that you can follow.

  • Place some alcohol or dish detergent in a jar. This will serve as temporary storage for the ticks that you remove. Do not crush or pound them as you may only expose yourself to blood and internal organs that could contain pathogens.
  • Put on gloves. Avoid handling ticks with your bare hands.
  • Be sure to be in a well-lit area as you check your dog for ticks. Part the hair of your pet or run your hands on its body. Feel for soft bumps that could indicate the presence of ticks. Feel or check beneath ears, under neck, under folds of skin, as well as in between toes.
  • Once ticks are seen, remove one by one with care. When handling a tick, do not squeeze or forcefully remove it. Pull with tweezers but do not twist as this will only agitate it. When a tick gets agitated, it will only fasten itself more securely onto your animal. Also, the tick can inject germs into your dog if you squeeze them; and if you pull or remove it with force, some parts of its teeth or mouth could get embedded into your pet’s skin. If the tick is latched onto the skin, wet a cotton ball with dish detergent. Cover the tick with the soaked cotton ball for a few seconds. The tick won’t be able to breathe and will loosen its grip. The tick will then be easy to remove. Sometimes, it will even come off with the cotton ball.
  • Place the tick inside the jar and repeat the process.

Considerations

It’s not uncommon for some parts of the tick’s mouth to remain on your animal even if you were very careful in removing the external parasite. When this happens, disinfect the area or apply an antiseptic ointment. In addition to this, it is also better to put aside the jar full of ticks so that in case your dog gets sick, you can bring samples to your vet so that he can check if the ticks that you removed carried disease-causing bacteria. It’s also important to observe your dog carefully after getting its ticks out. If you notice that your dog continues to itch or if the tick-bitten areas are inflamed, consult your vet for further evaluation.

Claire Brent, a freelance blogger, specializes in pest eradication. She writes for various sites, including http://www.PreventivePestControl.com/.

Photo courtesy: http://www.sunnydayphotos.com

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: